About Bosnia And Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina commonly called Bosnia is a south-western European country. The country is divided into two regions – Bosnia, the northern region which makes up about 80% of the country, and Herzegovina, the southern region.
The national languages are Bosnian, Serbian, and Croatian. It has a population of about 3.5 million, the major religion is Islam, followed by Christianity.
Sarajevo, the capital city has many historic sites; it is home to the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the 16th-century Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque.
Bosnia experiences four seasons, with warm summers and cold, snowy winters. Dressing is often western-styled with jeans being popular. When visiting religious sites, dressing should be conservative, do not show too much skin, and when visiting a mosque, use a scarf.
Bosnia has a well-developed transport system and you can get around via cabs, buses and trains.
Bosnia is one of the most frequently visited tourist destinations and has a reputation among skiers, nature lovers, hikers and mountaineers. Neum, its resort town is home to sandy beaches where you can relax and enjoy water activities. Rafting is a popular activity in Bosnia.
There are a number of interesting festivals you can attend such as:
- International Sarajevo Winter Festival, which features art exhibitions
- Kid’s Festival, a great place to entertain children if you’re on a family vacation
- Sarajevo Film Festival
- Jazzfest Sarajevo, a great place to enjoy Bosnia and Herzegovina’s rich music scene.
There are various other wonderful places to visit in Bosnia, some of them are:
- Bjelašnica Mountain, a popular place to go hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter.
- Una National Park: the newest national park in Bosnia, it features religious buildings and historical sites. You can enjoy picnics near the waterfalls and enjoy views of the scenic landscape
- Dinaric Alps: The Dinaric Alps is a mountain range in southern Europe. It stretches through Bosnia. It is home to one of the most beautiful and picturesque landscapes. A wide range of outdoor activities can be enjoyed here.
- Kravica Waterfall: popular swimming, picnic and camping area
- Travnik Castle: located in Travnik town, it is a medieval fortress that includes a museum preserving the history of the town.
- Blidinje Nature Park: where you can engage in a range of outdoor activities, from hiking to mountain biking to skiing. The park also offers breath-taking views.
Common Questions Travellers Ask About Bosnia And Herzegovina
What language is spoken in Bosnia?
Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian are the most spoken languages in Bosnia although a vast number of the population can communicate in English and German.
Are there places to ski in Bosnia?
Bosnia is a mountainous country and ski resorts in Bosnia are one of the best, the World Winter Olympics was once hosted in Bosnia.
Is it safe to travel to Bosnia?
The crime levels in Bosnia is low, and about a million people visit the country yearly. However, because the country is not cleared from landmines, it is advisable you take guided tours and not go to unpaved roads and abandoned areas.
Has Bosnia got a coastline?
Bosnia has the second smallest coastline in the world. It has a coastline of 20 kilometres. The town of Neum is situated along the Adriatic Sea and is the only resort town in the country.
Can you use euros in Bosnia?
The official currency of Bosnia is the convertible mark (BAM). Euros are often widely accepted in hotels and restaurants.
Is tap water drinkable in Bosnia?
Yes, tap water is potable and safe to drink.
What are the mobile network operators and internet service providers in Bosnia And Herzegovina?
There are over 0 mobile network operators and about 0 internet service providers in Bosnia And Herzegovina. You can checkout the
list of network operators in Bosnia And Herzegovina
and also details about each of them.
Bosnia And Herzegovina key facts
Languages Spoken: Bosnian,Croatian,Serbian
Demonym: Bosnian, Herzegovinian
Currency Name: Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark
Currency Code: BAM