Lesotho visa requirements for Burkinabes

Travel and visa requirements

Lesotho Visa is not required for Burkinabes

Stay Duration: 14 days

Entry Requirements

  • The visa policy in Lesotho permits Burkina Faso to visit the country for 14 days by applying for an e-visa.
  • Prospecting visitors are required to have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the intended date of arrival into Lesotho. The passport should have at least two blank pages for visa stamping.
  • Tourists will be required to show proof of yellow fever vaccination. Visitors are advised to be vaccinated 10 days before entering Lesotho.
  • Visitors are required to provide proof of enough funds to spend during their stay in the country.
  • A detailed printed itinerary of your time in Lesotho and a confirmation of accommodation during the stay is needed.
  • It is always highly recommended that tourists undergo medical examinations prior to travel. Vaccinations such as malarial prophylactics may be necessary.
  • Visitors hoping to get to Lesotho can do so from any international airport in Burkina Faso. There are international airports in Ouagadougou and Tenkodogo.
  • Ethiopia Airways, ASKY and Turkish Airlines are some of the carriers that fly from Burkina Faso to Lesotho.
  • The estimated flight time from Burkina Faso to Maseru, Lesotho is 20 hours.
  • Sotho and English are the official languages of Lesotho. However, other languages like  Phuthi, Xhosa and Zulu are spoken in the country.
  • The South African Rand and Losetho Loti are the currencies of the Kingdom of Lesotho. However, Loti is the official currency.
  • Christianity is the dominating religion of Lesotho with Protestants and Roman Catholics as leading denominations. Islam, Hindu, Buddhists, Baha'i, and other indigenous religions are also practised in the country.
  • Lesotho has a temperate climate, with hot summers and cold winters. The best time to visit Lesotho is between October and November and between March and April when the weather is most favourable.
  • Oxtail stew, Curries and Kebabs are special traditional delicacies of the kingdom of Lesotho.
  • Transportation in Lesotho can be made possible with buses, taxis and car rentals.
  • Lesotho uses the South Africa Standard Time (GMT+2), which puts it two hours ahead of Burkina Faso.
  • The power and socket plug used in DR Congo are of Type M. The standard voltage is 220 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
  • Tsehlanyane National Park, Afriski Mountain Resort, Maletsunyane Falls tourist destinations in Lesotho worth visiting.
  • Tourists should budget about $62 to spend per day in Lesotho.
  •  Visitors are expected to be courteous and conscious of existing rules and customs as they go about their tourism-related activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I travel to Lesotho without a passport?

No. A valid passport is a basic requirement to travel to Lesotho. Visitors may not require a visa based on certain conditions but they are still expected to have a valid passport.

Can I spend Rand in Lesotho?

The South African Rand (ZAR) is accepted in Lesotho as a medium of exchange, however, you may receive change in the local Lesotho currency, Maloti (M). 

Is it safe to go to Lesotho?

Lesotho is generally considered a safe country to travel to. Even though it has served as a safe haven, Lesotho also has its issues with crime, both petty and violent, illnesses and poverty.

What is the main religion in Lesotho?

Christianity is the dominant religion in Lesotho and is practised by approximately 90% of the country's population. The remaining 10% of the population includes adherents from other religions like Islam, Hinduism, and traditional African religions.