EXPLORE FRENCH GUIANAView all hotels in French Guiana
Popular cities in French Guiana
About French Guiana
The capital city in the French Guiana is Cayenne. The best time to visit the French Guinea is usually from mid-August to mid-November because there is usually low rainfall and it is mostly sunny, especially in the eastern part of the country. It is advised to dress lightly in the country due to the heat and sunny atmosphere it is also advised to dress to cover and protect the skin from mosquitoes.
The weather in the French Guinea is tropical and humid and has it's wet and dry season. The monsoon season which usually comes with a southwestern wind ranges lasts from December - January and April - July, then the dry season which comes with northern winds August - December, the French Guiana usually experiences heat all year round with cooler nights.
Culture in the French Guiana is greatly influenced by the French, although their ethnic traditions are still preserved in the amerindian settlements.
The French Guiana is largely a Christian Roman Catholic nation but there is small percentage of the population that are of shamanistic Amerindian, hinduism, islam, buddhism and other African-based beliefs.
In the French Guiana the official language spoken is French, although some ethnic community has its own language, of which Guianan Creole is the most widely spoken.
In the French Guiana French food is predominant especially pastries and bread, the French Guiana offers a wide array of options including local and international dishes other cultures have also influenced the Guiana cuisine including the Vietnamese, Chinese, Creole and also indonesian influences.
Getting around the French Guiana can be very easy as there are numerous ways of moving around including by air; there are airports and heliports available for moving around the country conveniently, by road ; there are taxis which prizes are very affordable, car rentals, by rail or by water there are numerous coastal and river transport available to both tourist and residents. Although crime is relatively low in the French Guiana, it is not completely safe because the U.K health authorities have classified the country as having a risk of transmission of the Zika virus, and also though there are no recent terrorist attacks the possibility cannot be ruled out.
The safest city to live or stay in the French Guiana is the capital city of Cayenne.
When visiting the French Guiana there are some festivals and events to watch out for including; the Mardi Gras which is held usually in January or February and lasts for a month or longer it entails costumed parades through the towns every Sunday, the Ash wednesday which marks the end of the Mardi Gras, the Victory day which is held on May 8 along with France and it marks the end of WWII, the Abolition of slavery on June 10, and New year's day on the 1st of January celebrating the beginning of a New year.
There are over 500 hotels and accommodations in available in French Guiana. Although ravaged by outbreaks of the Zika virus, the French Guiana still promises adventure and a beautiful and memorable experience to visitors. Here are some of the biggest attractions in the French Guiana:
- Exploring the capital city, Cayenne - The city of Cayenne offers a lot of attractions for visitors and tourists including the Botanical Gardens, the residence of the Prefect in the Place de Grenoble, the Canal Laussat.
- Exploring the Iles du Salut - This entails the infamous penal settlement called the Devil's island, where political prisoners and Henri Charriere's Papillon were held, the Iracoubo Church hand painted entirely by the famous convict Huguet.
- The Mouragues Nature Reserve - This stretches from Roura to Regina, it is known for its diverse scenery and flora and is home to the Kaw swamps which heads south towards Brazil and is the host to various species of birds like the flamingo, as well as the caiman among others.
- The city of Kourou - This is home to the Guyana Space Centre which is the ,main spaceport for the European Space Agency, the city is beautiful and very modernized, and tourist can experience a rocket launch if lucky or visit the Fourgassier Falls.
- The Amerindian village - Although visits are restricted and requires a permit from the Prefecture in Cayenne, the Amerindian village is a sight to be seen by tourist to observe and learn about the Amerindian culture while also having fun, you can also visit the riverside Amerindian villages in Haut-Oyapoc and Haut-Maroni.
There are over 500 hotels and accommodations in French Guiana. The French Guiana is home to a wonderful array of sights and beautiful coastal resorts that would keep you coming back for more and also a wide variety of wildlife, and the country is bordered by Brazil to the east, and Suriname to the west.
Facts about French Guiana
How do I travel out of French Guiana?Get Visa from French Guiana
For looking to travel out of the country. You can check out the list of destinations, how to Get French Guiana visa to those countries, Embassies in French Guiana and Visa Free Countries for passport holders
Common Questions Travellers Ask About French Guiana
What currency is used in French Guiana?
Like its colonial masters France, French Guiana make use of the same currency which is Euros
What is the official religion in French Guiana?
French is the official language spoken in French Guiana, but other languages like Creole and English are common.
About the French Guiana government?
French Guiana is governed by the provisions of the French constitution as a territorial collectivity of France.
Does French Guiana have a president?
The French Guiana Assembly is in charge of the regional and departmental government, and its president is Rodolphe Alexandre.
Is French Guyana a country or territory?
French Guiana, overseas territorial collectivity of France, situated on the northeastern coast of South America.