United States of America visa requirements for Nigerians
Travel and visa requirements
Basic Travel Requirements for Nigerians visiting United States of America
Travelers are required to fulfill the following requirements in order to apply for a American Visa.
United States Of America Visa for Nigerians
Facts about United States Of America
Types of United States Of America Visa
|Types of Visa||Processing Time||Duration of Stay|
|Visitor Visa||5-15 days||180 days|
|Work visa||5-15 days||1 year|
|Student visa||5-15 days||duration of study|
General Requirements for United States Of America Visa
United States Of America Visitor Visa Eligibility & Requirements
- The United States visitor visa is issued to foreigners who want to travel to the united states for various short-stay purposes.
- Holders of this visa can go to the United States to conduct businesses, sight-see, tour and even to receive medical treatments.
- If you are going on tourism, you will be under the B-2 visa category while business travelers are in the B-1 category.
- A U.S. visitor's visa is valid for 180 days (6 months) and can be extended for an additional 180 days. The maximum stay under a B1/B2 visa is 1 year.
- Those who want to conduct businesses, negotiate and sign contracts or engage in any other form of trade or commercial activities should take note of the following:
- The B-1 visa is strictly for business and holders cannot work nor take up permanent residence in the country.
- A letter from your employer in Nigeria stating your position at work, salary and that you would return to your job after the trip.
- The host company in The United States of America is to issue an invitation letter containing details of the business to be conducted between the applicant and the company.
- The company should also state if they would sponsor the trip and if not, who the sponsor would be.
- Before you would be granted a business visa to the United States, you must show that you have a clean criminal record from the last year.
- The B2 visa holders can go on tourism, visit friends and families in the United States, and attend ceremonies.
- If you want to receive medical treatment in the United States, these documents are required:
- A letter from your doctor in Nigeria, stating the illness, and previous treatments
- A recommendation letter to the clinic in the United States stating possible treatments
- Letter of confirmation of appointment from the hospital in the united states containing the date of the appointment and duration of the treatment
- Bank statement not older than six months showing that the applicant has sufficient funds for the treatment.
- All applicants are to have a yellow fever vaccination certificate.
- This visa cannot be used to study or take up any form of paid employment in the United States.
- It is important to have an accommodation reservation for the trip. It could be a hotel reservation, a rented apartment or with a host.
- Your host accommodating you would have to send you a letter in which the relationship between you and the host would be stated, the duration of your stay and contact details of the host.
- A detailed itinerary of your trip containing place(s) to be visited during your trip should be submitted to the Consul.
- Do not overstay your visa, if you do, you may be barred from returning to the U.S. for ten years or three years depending on the period of overstay. Visa overstays may be restricted from applying for Extension of Stay or Change of Status.
United States Of America Work Visa Eligibility & Requirements
- Nigerians who want to work in the United States can apply for a work visa.
- This visa is issued to individuals for several categories of work such as
- H1B(specialty occupation)
- H2B(skilled and unskilled workers)
- L-1(intra-company transferees)
- P(artists and entertainers)
- Q(international cultural exchange participant)
- The work visa allows the holder to engage in paid employment under the above-listed skill types for a period of time depending on the contract.
- Your prospective employer is required to file a petition that would be approved by the United States Citizen and Immigration Services(USCIS) and verified by PIMS. This would be done during your job interview.
- When you have secured the appropriate visa, you will need to get a permit to work, which is officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), in order to prove you are eligible to work in the United States.
- When going for your Consular interview, ensure that you go with the I-129 receipt.
- A work visa costs 190 USD and is usually valid for 1 year.
- If you are under the H2B skill category, your employer in the United States would have to provide proof of a shortage of workers as the reason why a foreigner was employed instead.
- Your B.sc or other forms of higher degree certificate is required. This will prove that the applicant is qualified for the position employed.
- Applicants are to present proof of civil status which could be a birth certificate, marriage certificate or child's birth certificate.
- You are also to provide proof of family ties back in Nigeria. It will show that the applicant intends to return to Nigeria at the termination of their work contract.
- Your employer is Nigeria is to issue a letter detailing the applicant's position and previous positions worked on.
- All applicants are to be vaccinated for yellow fever with a certificate called yellow card.
- You can travel with your spouse or children on a work visa.
United States Of America Student Visa Eligibility & Requirements
- Individuals who want to study in the United States can apply for a student visa.
- This visa is of two types the F1 and M1 and are both valid for the duration of the course of study.
- To be eligible for the student visa, you must
- be accepted into a renowned academic institution in the United States
- be a university/college, high school, seminary or elementary school.
- take up approved language programs
- be enrolled in a course that lasts over 18 hours in a week.
- The M1 visa is issued to individuals who want to take up a vocational/non-academic course.
- Holders of both the F and M visa must resume their course within 5 months of getting the visa otherwise, they would lose their status.
- You can take up short courses such as cooking courses with a tourist visa.
- The admission/acceptance letter issued by the institution in the United States should be presented during the consular interview.
- Students are usually given a period of 60 days extra at the course completion to either leave the US or register for another course.
- If you are married or you have children that are still minors, a dependent visa called F-2 visa will be issued to them alongside your F-1 visa if they intend to live with you.
- Ensure that The officer at the port of entry issues a Form I-94 with expiration date indicated as
- Your transcripts, test scores from your school or other similar documents might be required.
- The institution you are applying to has to be a SEVP-approved school in the United States. After the school has accepted you, you will be registered for SEVIS and pay a fee different from the application fee.
- Whoever is accompanying you with an F2 visa has to also register for SEVIS but will not be required to pay the fee.
- Students must have a sponsor who would have to issue a proof of relationship.
- If you are on scholarship, you would have to submit the letter of scholarship which should state the duration of the scholarship, and how much of your studies the scholarship covers.
- You must show that you would return to your home country when your visa expires.
United States Of America Visa Fees
United States Of America Visa Application Centres & Embassies in Nigeria
Plot 1075, Diplomatic Drive, Central District, Abuja, Nigeria.
+234 9 461 4000
2, Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
+234 1 460 3600
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a currency restriction when entering the United States?
Travelers entering the United States may take as much money as they wish into the country. You can bring up to $10,000 in currency, coin and specific monetary instruments without reporting it to customs.
How much money do I need to have to apply for a United States visa?
The more money you have, the better your chances of getting a visa. You can estimate the cost of return travel tickets, lodging, boarding, medical, domestic travel, shopping, day to day expenses, which can easily be at least over USD 5,000 per person. This amount is enough to pass as sufficient funds for a short-stay visa.
Is it easy to get a visa to the United States?
Getting a United States visa is relatively easy if the applicant provides all the documents required by the Consul. The documents must also be proven to be accurate and authentic. To increase your chances of getting a visa, you can enroll for studies in the United States, get a job or start a business.
Where is the most visited place in the United States?
Times Square in New York is the most visited destination in the US as well as in the whole world. Annual visitors are recorded at 41.9 million. There are about 40 theaters located around Times Square, each one contributing to the fact that the famous theater district is so well known globally.