About Saint Kitts And Nevis
Saint Kitts and Nevis consist of two islands: St. Kitts, the larger of the two which houses the capital Basseterre, and Nevis. The two islands are two miles apart.
Basseterre has over time been ravaged by many natural disasters, but several of its historical landmarks are still present.
St Kitts and Nevis has good roads, and you can move around with buses, called microbuses, which can be flagged down by the road. There are also several taxis which are much more comfortable. There is a ferry ride between St. Kitts and Nevis, and it provides great views of the islands.
The islands have two seasons: the dry season, from November to April, and the rainy season (May to October. Although the hurricane season in the Caribbean is officially June to November, most storms hit between August and November.
Lightweight casual clothing is recommended as the climate is tropical. A light sweater or jacket is also recommended for cool evenings.
The country is a former British colony, and most of the population are West African descendants, so the culture has both influences. English is the official language and majority of the population are Christians. Rastafarians are also common.
St. Kitts and Nevis celebrates its culture and history through many festivals and events. Some of them are:
- Battle of St Kitts re-enactment: held in March at Brimstone Hill Fort. It features the re-enactment of the famous battle between British and French forces in 1782.
- St Kitts Music Festival: featuring performances by world acclaimed artists.
- Culturama: takes place in Nevis, and features music, street dancing, parades, and pageants.
- Latin Fiesta: the country is close to Central and South America, and the Latin festival showcases Latin culture.
- St Kitts Carnival: a lively festival featuring music, dance, art and parades.
With two islands, water sports are popular in the country. There are perfect spots for scuba diving and snorkelling. With its volcanic slopes and lush forest, the country also has great hiking spots. You can also enjoy a game of golf on one of the golf courses. The tourist train ride through St. Kitts’s old sugar plantation is a great way to learn about some of the island’s history.
There are other fascinating places to tour on St. Kitts and Nevis, some of them are:
- Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park: A UNESCO World Heritage Site. The fortress is located atop a cliff. It was the site of the battle of St. Kitts which is re-enacted yearly.
- Fort Charles: featuring the ruins of the island of Nevis’ defence fort in colonial times.
- Mount Liamuiga: the highest point on the islands, it is surrounded by rainforest and cloud forests. You can enjoy a hike here or a short stroll through the tropical forest.
- Oualie Beach: located on the island of Nevis.
Common Questions Travellers Ask About Saint Kitts And Nevis
Is St Kitts safe to travel to?
St. Kitts is the larger island and it is home to the capital Basseterre. It is the most visited and generally safe to travel to.
Do I need vaccinations for St Kitts?
A proof of yellow fever vaccination is required if you’re travelling from a country with the risk of yellow fever.
Is it safe in Nevis?
The smaller island, Nevis is safe for tourists. There is however risk of petty theft just as in any other country. So leave no valuables unattended.
What is there to do in St Kitts?
From high energy activities such as diving and hiking, to exploring historical landmarks and learning about culture and art in the festivals, there’s plenty to do. Here’s a highlight.
- Go on a cruise
- Go scuba diving
- Enjoy a leisurely game of golf
- Go hiking
- Visit the historic Brimstone Hill Fortress and learn about colonial history
- Relax or go swimming on one of the beaches
What is the best currency to take to St. Kitts?
The Eastern Caribbean dollars (EC) is the local currency of St. Kitts and Nevis. However, US dollars are widely accepted. So any one of this is good.
When is the best time to go to St. Kitts and Nevis?
The dry season December to April is the best time to go so as to enjoy more sunshine and outdoor activities. May to June is also a great time to visit.
What are the mobile network operators and internet service providers in Saint Kitts And Nevis?
There are over 0 mobile network operators and about 0 internet service providers in Saint Kitts And Nevis. You can checkout the
list of network operators in Saint Kitts And Nevis
and also details about each of them.
How do I travel out of Saint Kitts And Nevis?
For Kittian and Nevisians looking to travel out of the country. You can check out the list of destinations, how to
Get Visa to those countries, their
Visa Free Countries for Kittian and Nevisian passport holders