Belize visa requirements for South Africans
Travel and visa requirements
Belizean Visa is not required for South Africans
Stay Duration: 30 days
- For a period of 30 days, South Africans can visit Belize without a visa.
- Intending visitors must have a passport which is valid for a minimum of six months after the intended period of stay in Belize. Two blank pages for entry and exit stamp is required.
- An extension of stay application must be submitted while in Belize at any of the Immigration Offices by visitors who want to stay more than 30 days. It is advised to be submitted a few days before the 30 days period expires.
- Visitors would have to pay an airport departure tax.
- South Africans must have a return and onward ticket, proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay in Belize.
- Hotel reservations or any form of accommodation arrangements in Belize is required.
- Intending visitors can get to Belize from any international airport in South Africa. There are international airports in Johannesburg, Bloemfontein and Cape Town.
- South African Airways, Delta Airways, LATAM and Avianca are some of the carriers that fly from South Africa to Belize.
- The estimated flight time from Johannesburg to Belize City, Belize is 22 hours, 55 minutes, it is 1 day 3 hours from Cape Town, and 1 day 2 hours from Bloemfontein.
- The Belize dollar is the official currency in Belize. It is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively BZ$ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies. Visitors can exchange their foreign currencies at Banks and various exchange outlets in the country.
- The climate in Belize is tropical, with a hot and rainy season from June to October, and a cooler season from November to February, which is also the best to visit.
- Belize’s numerous natural beauties and endowments put it out as a great place for tourists and visitors looking to experience the richness of nature and to discover new cultures.
- Rice and Beans, Stewed Chicken, Chimole, Salbutes, Tamales, Ceviche and Conchita Pibi are popular delicacies enjoyed in Belize.
- Belize uses the Central Standard Time(GMT-6) which puts South Africa 8 hours ahead in time.
- Power sockets and plugs used in Belize are of type A, B and G. The standard supply voltage is between 110/220 V, with a standard frequency of 60 Hz.
- Tourists on a low budget can spend an average of $70 a day in Belize.
- Christianity is the dominant religion in Belize with over 70% of the population. Other religions practised in the country include Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Rastafarianism, etc
- Getting around in Belize can be facilitated by buses, taxis, car rentals, ferries, bikes, etc.
- The official language in Belize is English. However, Belizean Creole is the most widely spoken national language. Other languages spoken include Garifuna, Mandarin, Spanish and Maya.
- Visitors are expected to be courteous and conscious of existing rules and customs as they go about their tourism-related activities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time to visit Belize??
What is Belize known for?
What language do they speak in Belize?
What is the best area to stay in Belize?
Ambergris Caye is Belize's largest island in Belize. It is also the most popular tourist destination in the country.
What is the capital of Belize?
The capital of Belize is Belmopan. Tourists are advised to be careful while exploring the city due to various reports of violence and crime.