Botswana visa requirements for South Africans
Travel and visa requirements
Botswana Visa is not required for South Africans
Stay Duration: 90 days
- South Africans visiting Botswana must have a passport valid for a period of 6 months.
- Intending visitors are expected to have proof of yellow fever vaccination.
- South Africans visiting Botswana can stay without a visa for a duration of 90 days.
- South Africans visiting Botswana do not need a visa to travel if staying for a period of 90 days but a visa will be required if the stay will exceed 90 days either on arrival or Evisa.
- South Africans visiting Botswana can extend their stay for a period of six months.
- South Africans visiting Botswana should note that the processing of visa takes 21 working days if a visa is required.
- South Africans visiting Botswana should ensure that there are 2 blank visa pages on their passport needed for entry and exit stamps.
- Intending visitors can get to Gaborone, Botswana from international airports in Johannesburg and Cape Town.
- Air Link, Air Namibia, South African Express, are some of the carriers that fly from South Africa to Botswana.
- The estimated flight time from Johannesburg to Gaborone is 55 and 2 hours from Cape Town.
- Although Botswana Pula is the official currency in Botswana, banks do accept US dollars, Pound Sterling, Euros, and South African Rand.
- Botswana has a semi-arid climate that makes the weather hot for a better part of the year, however, the rainy season which tends to be unpredictable, fickle, and regional, lasts throughout summer.
- Botswana is home to the most interesting parks, the Okavango Delta, Chobe and Moremi parks, and the best time to visit is from May to September when the weather is dry and relatively pleasant.
- Botswana uses the Central Africa Time (GMT+2) which means there is no difference between the time in South Africa and Botswana.
- Power sockets and plugs used in Botswana are of type D, G, and M. The standard supply voltage is 230 V, with a standard frequency of 50 Hz.
- Botswana has a vast majority of people who identify as Christians, although there are others who hold both traditional and Christian beliefs.
- Botswana is a prime spot for lovers of nature and people looking to experience rich and exciting cultures.
- Getting around in Botswana is possible by Trains, taxis, buses, etc, all under 12 USD (127.00 BWP).
- While English is the official language in Botswana, Tswana stands in as the national language, which makes up a part of over 20 other languages. Visitors should have very little trouble with communication.
- Botswanans are very artistic people, with a diverse, and highly interesting culture evident in their food, mannerisms, clothes, cultural artefacts, etc. It is important to respect local laws assigned to tourists and visitors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the religion of Botswana?
Is Botswana a safe place for travelers?
what is the language in Botswana?
how much does a Botswana safari cost?
the average cost for a safari in Botswana is $800 to $1,000 per person per night.
What is the peak travel time to visit Botswana?
the dry season which is optimal for game viewing is the peak travel time.