Ethiopia visa requirements for South Africans
Travel and visa requirements
Ethiopian Visa is not required for South Africans
Stay Duration: 30 days
- South African passport holder can stay in Ethiopia with an e-visa or obtain a visa on arrival only at the Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
- The type of e-visa which can be obtained by visitors varies. A 30-day visa for visitors who wants to stay for 30 days or less.
- A 90-day visa for tourists who want to stay for more than 30 days.
- Passport must be valid for six months from the arrival date in Ethiopia, with at least two open pages.
- Visitors are expected to present one passport photograph, a copy of air ticket or itinerary, proof of funds preferably a bank statement and confirmation of accommodation
- South Africans hoping to travel can get to Addis Ababa Ethiopia, from any international airport in Johannesburg, Bloemfontein and Cape Town.
- Airline flying from South Africa to Ethiopia include South African Airways, Kenya Airways, Air Namibia etc.
- The estimated flight duration from Johannesburg to Addis Ababa is 5 hours, 20 minutes, from Cape Town to Addis Ababa is 6 hours, 25 minutes, and 9 hours, 20 minutes from Bloemfontein.
- The official language in Ethiopia is Amharic. However, Oromo is a more generally spoken language. Other languages are Arabic and English.
- Ethiopia’s numerous historical attractions and natural beauties make it an alluring spot for tourists and visitors looking to experience the richness of nature and to discover new ways of life while at it.
- Ethiopian Birr (ETB) is the official currency used in Ethiopia. Visitors can exchange their foreign currencies at various bank and exchange outlets in the country.
- There are two associated power socket and plug types in Ethiopia, which are type C, E, F and L. The standard supply voltage is 220 V, with a standard frequency of 50 Hz.
- Ethiopia has a mild and tropical climate. it is relatively hot throughout the year. It is best to visit during the dry season between October and June.
- Time zone in Ethiopia is (GMT-3), it puts it an hour ahead of South Africa.
- The prominent religion in Ethiopia is Christianity ( Abrahamic, Ethiopian Orthodoxy, Pentay and Catholic). Aside from that, Islam and other indigenous religions are practised.
- Getting around in Ethiopia can be facilitated by buses, taxis, and train.
- Ethiopia has an interesting, unique and fascinating culture and history. Visitors are expected to be courteous and conscious of existing rules and customs as they go about their activities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens when you overstay your visa??
if you happen to overstay your visa, you will be required to pay $10 per person per day and you have to pay your fine in full before you can leave Ethiopia.
What is the processing time for the Ethiopian eVisa??
The processing time for the Ethiopian eVisa is usually up to 3 days. it is advisable to apply 3 days before your departure date.
Do you get a refund if your visa application gets rejected??
you don't get a refund if your application gets rejected, as its a non refundable fee.
How safe is Ethiopia??
Ethiopia is relatively safe for travelers to visit.
What currency is used in Ethiopia??
The Ethiopian birr is the official currency used here.