EXPLORE KYRGYZSTANView all hotels in Kyrgyzstan
Popular cities in Kyrgyzstan
Kyrgyzstan’s capital is Bishkek, and the best time to visit the country is from June to September.
The weather and climate in Kyrgyzstan is continental, and the difference in climate varies with the region, spring starts in March and lasts till May, summer is usually wet and lasts from June to August, Autumn starts in September and lasts till November, winters is from December and lasts till February, January is known to be the coldest month in the region.
Kyrgyzstan is home to about 4 different ethnic groups, and the culture in the country has it's rooted deep in the Turkic traditions, sharing many cultural similarities.
Islam is the predominant religion in Kyrgyzstan, and it is of the Sunni branch, but other religious practices can be found in the country like Christianity, Buddhism, Baha'i, and also Judaism. Cuisine in Kyrgyzstan revolves around basic dairy products like noodles, dumplings and meat like horse meat, mutton and beef.
Kyrgyz is the most widely spoken language in Kyrgyzstan, seconded by Russian and the Uzbek, also English French and some other languages are not uncommon among the minority. Kyrgyzstan is known to be safe for tourist and visitors, but night crimes are not uncommon in the capital city of Bishkek.
There are over 30 airports is Kyrgyzstan. It is relatively easy to get around Kyrgyzstan, there are public transports available to scale the mountains and rugged roads in every part of the country; buses, minibuses, and shared taxis are easy to get by, and although rail transportation by train is not common it is also another way to get around when in Kyrgyzstan.
Festivals and events in Kyrgyzstan is influenced greatly by the countries traditions and nomadic lifestyle, and some of these events are: New Year - New year's are also celebrated in Kyrgyzstan as in many other countries, it is marked with fireworks, parties and many fun filled events; Orthodox Easter - This is normally celebrated in April which is about two weeks after the western Christianity; National Horse Festival - This is one of the countries most popular events, and is held in July, and it entails races, and many other games; Independence Day - This is held in August, and it is celebrated in respect to the attainment of independence in the country.
There are over 1,000 places of interest to visit in Kyrgyzstan, and some of these places includes:
- Issyk Kul Lake - Translates from Kyrgyz meaning “hot lake”. The lake has a lot of tributaries but does not flow into any other lake, it is known to be the second largest mountain lake in the world.
- Ala Archa National Park - This is located about an hour ride a way from the capital city of Bishkek and is home to different attractions and hiking sights that bring in tourist from around the world each year. The park is filled with mountainous peaks that reaches up to 4895 meters high.
- Bishkek - This is the capital city of Kyrgyzstan and is home to different attraction and cuisine ranging from central Asian dishes to international cuisine and fast foods, as you make your way around the city you can explore the many statues, nomadic and Soviet influence on the development of the country.
- Tash Rabat - This is located in what was the ancient silk road used by merchants. It is a historic stone caravanserai, and is one of the best preserved of such places in central Asia. Originally built as a Nestorian monastery it was then turned into a caravanserai.
- Osh - This is known to be the oldest city in Kyrgyzstan, the city is over 3000 years old. In the center of the city is Sulaiman-Too which is a sacred mountain that has been worshiped for millennia. The mountain is believed to have housed the throne of Solomon and it is believed the he was buried there.
There are over 500 hotels and accommodations in Kyrgyzstan that will sufficiently satisfy your taste for elegance and splendour.
Facts about Kyrgyzstan
How do I travel out of Kyrgyzstan?Get Visa from Kyrgyzstan
For Kirghizs looking to travel out of the country. You can check out the list of destinations, how to Get Kyrgyzstan visa to those countries, Embassies in Kyrgyzstan and Visa Free Countries for Kirghiz passport holders
Common Questions Travellers Ask About Kyrgyzstan
What is the religion of the Kyrgyz?
The people of Kyrgyzstan are Sunni Muslims.