As at 2017, 88% of Greenland’s population are Greenlandic Inuit. The remaining 12% are mainly Greenland Danes. Nearly all Greenlanders live along the fjords in the south-west of the main island, which has a relatively mild climate. More than 17,000 people reside in Nuuk.
There are no railways, no inland waterways, and virtually no roads between towns in Greenland. There are 150 km of roads in the whole country. There are also no highways in Greenland, only local roads. Transportation by Air exists within Greenland and between the islands of other nations. The airports are not located near the settlements, so travelers get to the settlements using a helicopter. The major means of transportation has been by boat.
The economy of the country is highly dependent on fishing. Fishing makes up 90% of Greenland's exports. Greenland is blessed with minerals like ruby, iron, uranium, aluminum, nickel, platinum, tungsten, titanium, and copper. Greenland also has the world’s largest national park.
The temperature of Nuuk varies over the seasons from −8 to 7 °C (18 to 45 °F). Summer in Greenland runs from June through to September where the days are long and bright. It is the best time to visit if you want to go hiking and do lots of outdoor activities. You can also witness the midnight sun during this time.
Majority of the population can speak both Greenlandic and Danish languages. Greenlandic became the official language in 2009. English is another important language for Greenland, which is taught in schools. In Greenland, education is free and compulsory for children between ages 6-15.
The major religion is Christianity of which the majority are Protestants. The Roman Catholics are the minority.
The singer and songwriter Simon Lynge is the first artist from Greenland to have an album released across the United Kingdom. The music culture of Greenland also includes traditional Inuit music, which involves singing and drums.
Alcoholism, high rate of suicide, and increasing number of HIV/AIDS patients are major problems in Greenland.
Fun places in Greenland include;
- Ilulissat Ice-fjord: This is the most visited area in Greenland. It was designated a world’s heritage site by UNESCO in 2004. It is where icebergs breakout from the glaciers and float out into the waters.
- Whale watching: The best time is in June and July. The species that can be seen are humpback, minke, and fin whales, occasionally also blue whales, killer whales, narwhals, beluga whales, sperm whales, and pilot whales.
- Uunartoq Hot Springs: Three natural springs merge into a small pool that is surrounded by icebergs and fascinating mountain peaks. There are over 20 hotels in Greenland to provide comfort when you visit the country.