EXPLORE LAOSView all hotels in Laos
Popular cities in Laos
The capital city in Laos is Vientiane and it is also the Largest city in the country. Laos is seen at its best from October - April, during this period the weather is preferred with warmer temperatures and less rainfall.
Laos climate is classified as a tropical monsoon climate, the seasons are classified into two which are; the wet southwest monsoon season that runs from May - October, and the dry Northeast monsoon season from November - April.
There are over 67 tribal groups in Laos, and its lifestyle, art and architecture are greatly influenced by Theravada Buddhism.
Buddhism is the major religion in Laos with other minorities like Catholics, Muslim, and the followers of the Bahāʾī faith.
Food in Laos is similar to that of Thai and Vietnamese, meals majorly consists of sticky rice, spicy soups and a range of meat. Lao is the official language spoken in Laos.
Laos has no trains and getting around is very tricky due to many dirt path roads and crammed rickety old buses, river transport is also very common in Laos but due to improved road conditions, buses have largely supplanted river travel in recent times like the “tuk tuk”, taxis are also available and car rentals, and there are your international airports in the country. Loas is relatively safe for visitors and travellers, but caution should be taken for some areas that are off-limits as in many other area.
Laos is home to several festivals and celebrations including: The Lao New Year which is celebrated with to use of water, which is poured on one another as water is the symbol of renewal in buddhism belief. It is held is April and is lasts for up to three days of celebrations; Lao Handicrafts Festival is held in the capital city of Vientiane, and showcases different artistic masterpiece; Lai Heua Fai, the Fire Boat Festival is celebrated to mark the end of the Buddhist lent; Lao Food Festival also held in Vientiane the capital and last for up to three days.
Laos is filled with stunning scenery, from dense forests, limestone mountains and spectacular waterfalls. It’s the great place for adventurous travelers, as it provides fascinating untouched, natural sites for photographers and tourists. Some of these include:
- Wat Phu - This is a ruined khmer Hindu temple located at the base of mount Phu Kao, in the Champasak province. It dates back to the 11th & 13th century, it was part of the Khmer empire and is centered on Angkor, southwest in Cambodia.
- Luang Prabang - This is known to be the most popular place in Laos, and also the most visited. The historic city of Luang Prabang was once the capital city in Laos. The city is home to many Buddhist temples and monasteries, and monks can be seen every morning as they collect alms, and it is also home to waterfalls and elephants.
- Vang Vieng - This is a tourist city located about four hours away from the capital city, Vientiane. Originally known as Mouang Song in the 14th century and changed to Vang Vieng as a French colony. It is home to the limestone karst hills, and offers many more tourist attractions like kayaking and tubing, revolve around the Nam Song river, also offers great hiking and exploring opportunities.
- Vientiane - This former French colony is located at the Mekong River, and still exhibits a lot of traces of French influence. It is home to “the city of sandalwood that dates back to 1586, it is a Buddhist stupa, Pha That Luang that ranges up to 147 feet tall; and also the Wat Si Muang which is another popular site built on the ruins of Khmer Hindu shrine.
- Bokeo Nature Reserve - This was built to preserve the population of the black-cheeked ribbon, which was rediscovered in 1997. It features attractions like ziplining, animal and bird watching especially the gibbon.
There are over 500 hotels and accommodations in Laos that will satisfy your taste for adventure and give you that feeling of home and warmth
Laos key facts
How do I travel out of Laos?Get Visa from Laos
For Laotians looking to travel out of the country. You can check out the list of destinations, how to Get Visa to those countries, Embassies in Laos and Visa Free Countries for Laotian passport holders
Common Questions Travellers Ask About Laos
Are credit cards accepted in Laos?
Though it is generally not accepted, but some big item stores and top hotels accepts them. There is generally very few places that accepts payment with credit cards.
How much should I budget per day for a holiday in Laos?
In Laos a daily budget should be around $15- $20 And with this you can get a comfortable room with three square meals and maybe even transportation money.
What is the price for good accomodations in Laos?
Getting A good and comfortable accomodations in Laos is relatively cheap and prices usually range from $10-$20.
Do I need a visa to travel to Laos?
Citizens of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) including: South Korea, Switzerland, Russia, and japan, can travel visa-free to Laos. But most countries like US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Australia, and the EU. Q. What is the price for good accomodations in Laos? A. Getting A good and comfortable accomodations in Laos is relatively cheap and prices usually range from $10-$20.
What's the weather like in Laos?
Laos has a tropical climate, and is also governed by monsoons. And it has two distinct weather seasons including: dry season, and set season.