EXPLORE SEYCHELLESView all hotels in Seychelles
Popular cities in Seychelles
Victoria is the capital of Seychelles, it is located on the northeastern coast of Mahé Island, the largest island in the Seychelles group. The best time to visit Seychelles is usually April, May, October and November.
Seychelles experience a warm, humid and tropical climate with maritime influences. It has a a rainy and muggy season that usually starts from December to March, and this is due to the northwest monsoon; and a dry and cooler season from June to September, due to the southeast winds.
The culture in Seychelles is a mix of the different nationalities and races that have settled in the archipelago, including the French settlers, the Tamil and Chinese traders, the Islamic mariners, the British colonials, and the African slaves. This influence also reflects on the food in Seychelles, making the cuisine a fusion of flavours from African, French, Chinese, Indian and English cooking.
The major religious practice in Seychelles is the Roman Catholicism, but there Are minority of Protestantism, Anglican, Muslim , Hindu and Bahaï communities.
The official languages spoken in Seychelles are Seychellois Creole, English and French.
There are around 15 airports in Seychelles, this makes air transportation a good means of exploring the islands. Other means of getting around Seychelles are available but because most of the islands in Seychelles are very small (e.g Victoria) these may not be necessary, these transports include; sea transportation, there are bus services and also taxis can be found on all three major islands in Seychelles, public transport by using Ox-carts is common among the locals.
Seychelles is relatively safe and crime free, but recently there has been a rise in petty non-violent crimes and theft, so tourist should be precautious.
Seychelles is home many festivals and events, some of which are; The Feast of the Assumption of Mary - This is known to be one of the major festivals in Seychelles, held in the church at La Digue, the smallest of the three islands. People of Seychelles gather to offer prayers and gratitude to the virgin Mary; The Carnaval International de victoria - This is another major festival in Seychelles, it features carnivals and parties and it brings together carnival enthusiast from all over the world; The Creole Festival - It is held on October of every year on the islands of Praslin, La Digue and Mahe. It is a six-day celebration that features the traditions and the cultural heritage of Seychelles as reflected in dance, music, cuisine, customs and crafts; Seychelles Ocean Festival - it is a week-long festival held in Mahe, and it is organised to promote and show to the people what the underwater world of Seychelles has to offer, and also the beauty beyond that it hides and preserves.
There are various attractions and activities in Seychelles to keep tourists thrilled and entertained, some of these are:
- Victoria - Located on Mahe Island, Victoria is the capital of Seychelles and offers many attractions like, Seychelles National Botanical Gardens which showcases endemic palms and orchids, as well as giant tortoises and fruit bats, the colorful Sir Selwyn Clarke Market.
- Praslin - This is an Island in Seychelles known for its known for palm-fringed beaches, National Park, and Nature reserves.
- Silhouette Island - This is third largest granitic island in the Seychelles. It is located 20 km Northwest of Mahé, and features many beautiful beaches and landscapes.
- Aldabra - This is located 1,120 km southwest of the capital. It is the world's second-largest coral atoll, and it offers attractions like the Ilê Malabar, and the Picard Island.
- Beau Vallon - This is one of the most popular and frequented places in Seychelles. It is a bay located in the northwest coast of Mahé in the Seychelles, and offers activities like diving snorkelling in its shallow waters and beautiful beaches.
There are over 100 hotels and accommodations available in Seychelles, providing a luxurious and satisfying stay at Seychelles. The capital city in Seychelles, Victoria, is one of the smallest capitals in the world, and can be explored on foot within a day.
Facts about Seychelles
How do I travel out of Seychelles?Get Visa from Seychelles
For Seychellois looking to travel out of the country. You can check out the list of destinations, how to Get Seychelles visa to those countries, Embassies in Seychelles and Visa Free Countries for Seychellois passport holders
Common Questions Travellers Ask About Seychelles
How wealthy is Seychelles?
Seychelles has the 49th-highest Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) among African countries (2.53 million International dollars).