Schengen Visa Information
Travel and visa requirements
The Schengen Visa
About the Schengen Visa
A Schengen Visa is granted to Egyptians who are traveling to the Schengen Area for a period of time.
A Schengen Visa is granted in the form of a sticker which is affixed to the applicant's passport or other valid travel documents. This visa entitles you to travel and cross borders between Schengen countries. Having a Schengen Visa does not guarantee you automatic entry into the Schengen Area, entry will only be granted if the other entry conditions are met.
A Schengen Visa allows foreigners to move around the Schengen Area for a maximum period of 90 days within a 180-day period. Foreigners who wish to stay longer than this stipulated time should apply for a national visa or a residence permit.
There are 26 countries in the Schengen Area and they are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Schengen visa countries
Please select a country from the list of Schengen States listed below for visa requirements:
Schengen visa requirements
Travelers are required to fulfill the following requirements in order to apply for a Schengen visa.
In order to receive a Schengen visa you would need to have met the following requirements;
- You must have correctly filled the visa application form. After giving the necessary information, print two copies of the application form and sign each copy at the end.
- You must have a passport that remains valid for at least three months after the intended period of exiting the Schengen Area. The passport must have been issued with the last 10 years and must have two blank pages for visa stamps.
- You must have two recent passport-sized photographs taken within the last three months with a white background. The passport must not be older than 6 months and must be taken with a white colored background. The photo size must be 35x45mm.
- You must be in possession of a cover letter which explains the reasons you are entering the Schengen Area, the countries you will be visiting and the duration of your stay in each country.
- You must have a copy of your round-trip flight itinerary.
- You must have proof of accommodation for the duration of your stay in the Schengen Area. This could be in the form of hotel booking or an invitation from a friend or relative in the country.
- You must have a document or documents which serves as proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself financially during your time in the Schengen Area. This may be in the form of a bank statement or letter of sponsorship.
- You must possess valid travel insurance which covers the whole territory of the Schengen Area. The insurance should have a minimum coverage of €30,000 for medical insurance.
Schengen Visa Application Process
Tips on applying for the Schengen Visa
- Ensure you have chosen the appropriate visa type which suits your reason for visiting the Schengen Area.
- Locate the embassy/consulate/Visa Application Center in Egypt you need to go to apply for the Schengen Visa.
- Pick an appropriate time to visit the embassy in Egypt.
- Gather the required documents for the application of a Schengen visa.
- Schedule an appointment at the Visa Application Center/embassy/consulate in Egypt.
- At the scheduled date and time, visit the embassy/consulate/ Visa Application. Center for an interview. Try not to be late for your interview and don't be nervous.
- Pay the required fee. All Schengen member states have the same visa fee.
- After the interview, wait for a response from the embassy/consulate/Visa Application Center.
Schengen Visa Fees
Applicants are required to pay a nominal visa fee when applying for a Schengen visa. This fee is non-refundable even if the application was rejected and the visa was not issued by the consular department of the embassy. The approval and issuance of a visa is based entirely on the discretion of the consulate general.
|Visa Type||Visa Fee (EUR)|
|Short stay (90 days)||60.00|
|Long-term stay (over 90 days)||99.00|
|Children visa (6-12 years old kids)||35.00|
|All visa types for Georgia, Kosovo, Russia, and Ukraine citizens||35.00|
*Different rates may apply for different Schengen countries
How to apply for Schengen visa
More tips on applying for the Schengen Visa
To apply for a Schengen Visa you would have to go to the Embassy or Consulate of the selected country in person with the documents required to apply for your preferred visa and fill all the necessary forms. When applying for a Schengen Visa it is recommended that you book your appointment with the embassy at least 15 days (but not more than 12 weeks) to your intended trip.
After your appointment has been scheduled you will need to double check that your documents are complete and prepare to answer some of the questions that you might be asked, These questions basically revolve around your travel plans and personal details. Depending on the Schengen country you apply to, you would be required to provide biometric identifiers such as fingerprints and photographs which will be held on the Visa Information System and can be used for your next Schengen visa applications.
Do I need a Schengen visa?
You will need to apply for a Schengen visa prior to visiting the countries in the Schengen visa countries list above if you hold a passport from the following countries:
*You do not have to be at the country of your citizenship to apply for a Schengen visa. You can do it from the country of your permanent residence, but you will have to submit a proof of your legal status there.
Insurance for Schengen visa
How much travel insurance do you need to apply for a Schengen visa
Documents required for Schengen visa - checklist
Here you can find the checklist for the documents required for applying for Schengen visa. It is general list for all the countries but you should also check the specific requirements of the country you are going to visit.
- Valid passport.
- Two recent passport photographs.
- Correctly completed visa application form.
- Evidence of travel medical insurance.
- Proof of accommodation.
- Bank statement showing proof of sustenance.
- Contact details.
- Certificate of employment from your employer in Egypt.
- Photocopies of all documents including copies of all Schengen visas that have been issued in the past.
- Letter of invitation.
Additional documents may be required depending on the Schengen country you are applying to and the type of visa you are applying for.
In addition to the general list you may be required to have a proof of your entrepreneur status (if applicable), family status (marriage certificate etc), national passport (in some countries). Usually all the documents are to be copied.
* All documents are to be A4 format.